|St. Martin's Church, |
Who we are
How to find us
Weddings at St. Martin's
As people at St. Martin's by God's grace we strive to live by his values, worship together, reveal the Good News, and see God's kingdom grow
To see a thriving, growing Christian community
Tour page 3
The Memorial Chapel was created out of the old vestry and dedicated in 1922. Many of our visitors find this corner of the church to be particularly peaceful and a place to stop and pray or meditate for a while. An Intercessions book outside the chapel allows us to pray for those who record their concerns.
Sir William Forwood, a Liverpool benefactor, led the parishioners in raising the money for the chapel and its fittings as a memorial to those 71 men of the parish who gave their lives in the 1914-18 war and as a thanksgiving for those who returned. Most of the gifts in the chapel are inscribed. The unusual silk curtains at the Chapel entrance are fragile and we ask you not to touch them. They were made by war-disabled craftsmen employed by Painted Fabrics Ltd of Sheffield and were given to the parish in 1936 in appreciation of its support. More recently, memorial red and green altar superfrontals were given to mark the Millennium. The green one was the gift of the Windermere Branch of the Royal British Legion, commemorating those who gave their lives in the wars of the 20th century and with a design based on the familiar Flanders poppies flanking a dove of peace. Another Millennium gift to the chapel is the beautiful kneeler at the communion rail, embroidered by parishioners and based on a Lakeland panorama through the seasons painted by another parishioner. The oil painting entitled Our Father which art in Heaven was painted by William Holyoake RA, a past president of the Royal Academy, and depicts a young girl in the uniform of a London orphanage.
The door under the organ pipes leads to vestry rooms that have been converted for children's activities.
St Martin's seems to have had an organ at an early period, as it is on record that, at the time of the civil war in the 17th century, the organ was cutt in pieces by the Roundhead party. The present organ, built by Jardine & Co., dates from 1922. Almost all of the pipe-work and action in the organ chamber date from that time but restoration and expansion took place in 1964 and 1999. The organ console, which is situated in the chancel, is linked to the pipes electronically, under the floor of the chapel. The instrument is three manual and pedal-board with 32 ranks. Detailed technical information is available from here. more>>>